Grandparents can file for visitation or custody rights


Grandparents value all the time they can spend with their grandchildren. When you are no longer allowed to see or communicate with your grandkids, what can you do?

In Nevada, you have rights as a grandparent. However, parents' rights are favored over those of grandparents in most cases. This can make it difficult for grandparents to gain visitation or custody rights. Despite the difficulties, working with skilled legal counsel can go a long way in your case.

You do have options if contact with your grandchildren has been cut off. This can include not being able to physically see your grandchildren or not being allowed to communicate with them in any way.

When this happens, you have the option to file a petition for visitation or custody. The child's best interests are always taken into account in child custody cases and most judges will favor the parents in custody decisions unless it is not in the best interests of the child.

A successful petition that results in a judge ruling in your favor can result in you being awarded custodial rights, visitation or a promise of communication with your grandchildren.

Our attorneys can guide you through the child custody process and explain your rights under the law. We will carefully evaluate your options and help you take any precautions necessary to prevent disputes in the future.

Our law firm has experience addressing and resolving child custody issues involving grandparents and other family members in Nevada. Please visit our grandparents' rights page to learn more about your rights and how we can help.

Share To: