Do I Have to Pay Child Support if I Cannot See My Children?

If your co-parent is keeping you from visiting your children, you may be thinking of getting a little payback by refusing to pay child support. However, not complying with the terms of your child support order will only harm you in court. Just as your ex must allow you to exercise your visitation rights, you are expected to financially support your children. Refusing to do so may result in some serious consequences, regardless if you can see your children.

Do Not Hold Back on Child Support

If you refuse to pay child support, your co-parent can take legal action to have the support order enforced. As a result, you may face some serious consequences.

Below is a list of some of the consequences you may face:

  • Your wages may be garnished
  • Your driver’s license may be suspended
  • Funds may be seized from your bank account
  • Your federal tax refund may be intercepted

There is one exception to this rule. If your ex disappears with the children for an extended period of time, child support may temporarily stop until you are able to locate your children and co-parent.

If your ex is refusing to allow you to visit your children, your next step would be to turn to family court for assistance instead of choosing to not pay child support. Refusing to pay child support may work against you when you seek legal action, so it is essential that you keep paying even while you take this matter to court.

Your attorney may be able to do the following on your behalf:

  • Contact your co-parent to achieve a resolution
  • Contact your co-parent’s lawyer to achieve a resolution
  • Represent you in court to modify or enforce a visitation order

Speak to an Experienced Family Law Attorney About Your Case Today!

If your ex is refusing to allow you to see your children, not paying child support is not an option. Instead, you should consult with an attorney who can fight for your rights as a parent in court. At Ford & Friedman, our family law team is committed to guiding clients through some of the most difficult matters. You can rely on us to secure the best outcome for your case.

Reach out to our law office today at (702) 904-9898 to set up a consultation with one of our attorneys to get started.